Thursday, February 4, 2010

Giddy Up

Of course, I have to give both children the same amount of "air time." Right? In the interest of fairness, and because I love how it came together, I'll share images of Cooper's room today. While Abigail is on her third room, this is all pieced together from Cooper's nursery. I know that may not be fair. But, when I designed Cooper's nursery, I knew I couldn't make the same mistakes I'd made with Abigail's, and had every intention of putting together a room that could grow with him. Mission accomplished!

IMG_2404
When we found out we were having a boy, I immediately began looking for masculine-themed bedding. I'd still be looking if I hadn't given up, found fabrics and put my very talented mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law to the task of creating bedding and window treatments. I wasn't interested in pastel colors or trains or teddy bears or sports themes. Once I decided to make it a cowboy-themed room, I still wasn't successful in finding western items that weren't baby-ish. And, fabric stores are a rarity these days so I resorted to online fabric shopping. After the incredible length of time I spent putting it together, I can say that it was all worth it. I still love it, almost four years later!

When we moved him from his toddler bed last year, my mother found this antique bed at a garage sale for $30. Daniel had to do some welding (and still needs to touch up some of the wood), but it is perfect! And, my mother-in-law currently has the bedskirt from his crib and is re-working it into a bedskirt for this queen-size box springs. I can't wait to see how it turns out because it was adorable to start off with. It is almost identical to the valance but also features a fringed, brown leather trim. Cuteness!

The wooden toy chest at the foot of the bed was mine when I was a child. And, the rocking chair in the left-hand corner of the photo was mine that I received for my first birthday.

IMG_2408
I especially love the rustic painting above the bed. My parents gave that to Cooper for Christmas last year.

IMG_2409
Here, you can see that rocker I've been dragging around for almost 30 years. Ha! On the corner of the bed is the quilt from Cooper's crib. Hanging on the wall is a painting of our beloved dog, Maui. A friend of Daniel's grandparents' painted this for us a few years ago, and the frame was made by Daniel's grandfather.

IMG_2405

IMG_2407
This dresser was the integral piece of this room. Don't ask me why, but it didn't come together until I found this dresser. I'm terrible about getting an idea in my head and not settling until I find what I'm picturing in my head. The problem intensifies when I affix a price to that idea. Apparently antiques aren't the way to go when looking for a deal, unless you're determined and keep looking and looking and looking. My family was so happy when I finally purchased this dresser and they no longer had to spend Saturdays traipsing from one Craigslist dresser viewing to another. Ha! Again, the time spent was totally worth it. This dresser is my favorite piece of furniture in our home.

The lamp was an old lamp that I covered with a scrap of fabric. And, this treasured painting sitting on the dresser was painted by my great-grandmother. I spent years trying to get a hold of one of her paintings, and my grandmother graciously sent this to me a year or so ago. I wish could get at least one more, but I won't be greedy. I'm incredibly grateful that I was able to get this one.

IMG_2406
These two prints were purchased online, but I have great plans to replace them. I know I've seen a photo of my father on the same pony when he was a boy. That would be a great addition to Cooper's room.

IMG_2403
My mom found this wooden growth chart in a boutique several years ago. I've been too lazy to use it. I've got to start keeping track of it! My grandmother used to keep track of my on the door frame of her bedroom closet. I'm sure it's been painted over, which is a bit disappointing so that makes me think Cooper would enjoy having this as a keepsake many years from now. And, he's growing so quickly, so I better get to work!

No comments: