Last Sunday we set out to lunch after church and found ourselves meandering around without cravings or an idea of somewhere we wanted to eat. After much driving, indecision and rumbling tummies, we headed north to the small town, or maybe just a blip on the map, of Walburg. It's 35 miles north of Austin and does have a couple of stop signs but not even a red light to alert you of its existence.
I had read about this German-American restaurant, cleverly named The Walburg Restaurant, and we were interested in trying something different so that's where we headed. The Sunday buffet of bratwurst, schweinebraten, sauerbraten, and wienerschnitzel, followed by red cabbage, sauerkraut, catfish, shrimp, grilled Salmon on rice, homefries, spaetzle, brisket or ribs, meatballs, jaeger gravy and baked bread was right up Daniel's alley. I wasn't so adventuresome, but the chicken fried steak was one of the best I've ever had. Yummy! It was a pleasant adventure in the quaint little town.
This building was built in 1882 as a mercantile supplying the local farming community with dry goods. The original owner had migrated from Walburg, Germany, hence the name of the town. Now, it's a restaurant that seats 250. There can't be even half that many residents in Walburg, so it must be popular in the surrounding areas.
We hope to go back sometime on a Friday or Saturday night when they have live music. It looks like fun...

In the warmer months, they have an outdoor biergarten I'm interested in seeing. For all you future visitors, I hope you like German food!

1 comment:
We may just have to drive up that way and check this place out. Jacob loves going to the local German restaurants and we are always up for exploring new places.
Post a Comment