Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Family Field Trip to Zilker Gardens

One thing I can say for Austin is that the city has many amenities, and I'm elated when we partake of the free amenities like Zilker Botanical Gardens. It's 351 acres of park, so there are a lot of different options for recreation. You can go canoeing on Town Lake, take a ride on the miniature train, play Frisbee golf, enjoy a play at the amphitheatre, and many more activities I'm not aware of. But, today we enjoyed the Zilker Botanical Gardens. It was a beautiful day for meandering through the gardens, and you'll have to bear with me because I have a lot of photos to share. 

Abigail at the park entrance. I was especially taken with the Gerber Daisies.

The park is actually in Austin, and provides a wonderful juxtaposition to the downtown skyline.


The flowers are blooming wonderfully already. 


We were all amused that this plant was growing through the middle of this large fossil rock.



Abigail spied this butterfly and I had to wait patiently for it to settle enough to grab a shot of it.

The kids are so cute when Cooper isn't sitting on Abigail's head and pestering her.

Daniel just finished a 9-day night shift so we were happy to have some family time, even though he was very sleep deprived.




If you're ever in Central Texas, you should make this a stop on your tour. It's gorgeous. And, an added bonus compared to the gardens we frequented in South Carolina... you don't have to watch out for gators!

4 comments:

Casie said...

what a neat little park! Pictures of the kids are great too!

Casey Davison said...

What great pictures. Looks like lots of fun. WE have one of those but it's indoors and just not great.

KIMBERLY said...

PRECIOUS PICS... SO GLAD YOU DIDNT RUN IN TO ANY GATORS IN AUSTIN! TAKE CARE!

Christine said...

Love the pictures. The ones with the kids walking away from the camera and Cooper on the rock must be put in frames...so precious. Sue said she liked the alligators in SC.