Friday, April 17, 2009

Baby Needs a New Pair of Shoes

It's been raining here since 6 a.m. this morning, and it's not supposed to clear up until Sunday. Boo... Don't get me wrong. The rain is such a needed blessing but, I wish it could have come during the week when we were working. Now, the weekend is here and we're ready to get out and have some fun. Again. Boo...

We did get out today and run some errands, which I am super excited about. I've been working out as often as possible since Christmas. I've been using the Biggest Loser cardio and body sculpting DVDs at home but, I grew tired of those and moved on to the gym a few weeks ago. I started going several times a week to a weight lifting class called Body Pump. It's my first experience with free weights, and it's a lot of fun. Last week I added in a Couch Potato to 5K training regimen. Let me tell you: I despise running. Seriously. I hate to run. But, I'm still holding on to 20 pounds of baby weight that I want to get rid of and I'm willing to go to whatever lengths it takes to get myself back in pre-Cooper shape. The classes at the YMCA are fun, and the childcare is an added bonus. But, running is something I can do in our neighborhood and it's more convenient when I don't have time to load everyone up and trek to the gym. 

Back to the errands today... We went to RunTex, a running shoe store. It was awesome, and I highly recommend a store like this for anyone who runs. The salesman measured my feet, examined the way my feet fall when I'm standing, walking and jogging, he talked to me about where my shins are hurting (Daniel says my shin pain is because of my shoes that are 5 years old which was the reason for the store visit.) and then brought me some shoes to try on. I tried on four pairs of shoes and ran in each one. They were all heavenly compared to what I've been running in, but there was one pair that was amazing. I was so impressed with the store! Now, I want to go back and visit with the guy. Where did he learn the science of fitting the right shoes on the right feet? He was talking about my ankle pronation and the biomechanics of my running. Now I want to know where he learned that. I know UT has a lot of degrees, but do they really churn out expert shoe fitters?!

We also stopped by the sale at Kohl's and I picked up a watch to run with because the sets I'm running are timed by the seconds. I've been running with my BlackBerry and having to stop and set the alarm over and over. That just wasn't convenient.  Now, I'm all set to continue my training and it won't stop raining. I'm actually excited about running! 

2 comments:

Miss Amos said...

First - I heart free weights! I have discovered that for my body I need weights in addition to the cardio. Cardio alone doesn't help me take the weight off. Second, I am also thinking about doing the couch potato to 5k running program. I am so not a runner - at all - but for some reason I have this desire to actually run a 5k. I know we have a store here in Tampa that will fit shoes for you. I might have to check them out before I leave!

KIMBERLY said...

SILLY GIRL... DONT YOU KNOW YOU ONLY RUN IF SOMEONE IS CHASING YOU... WITH A GUN!?!?! HAHA! IN MY NEXT LIFE, I HOPE I ENJOY EXERCISING AND RUNNING MORE! HA! HOPE YOUR TRAINING GOES WELL! WHO KNOWS... MAYBE A HALF MARATHON IS IN YOUR FUTURE!